What do you do if you meet a vehicle accident in Georgia? Who should be responsible for paying for the injuries or the repairs? Do you always need to have a personal injury lawyer?
First things first
If you meet a vehicle accident, one of the first things you need to do is to call 911. Just because you feel and look complete doesn’t mean you didn’t suffer any injury.
Take whiplash, for example. It is an injury that happens when you suddenly move your head forward such as during a vehicle collision. It usually takes between 24 hours and a few days before you can feel the pain.
Then, you need to call your insurance company. You can report the accident anytime, but calling your agent as soon as you can ensures you don’t miss out on some critical details.
Under Georgia law, auto insurance coverage should include a bodily injury and property damage liability. Click here Scholle Law
Dealing with a Duluth personal injury lawyer is another important thing. You may need them if:
- someone is responsible for your injury
- you feel you are not getting the ideal compensation from the insurance provider
Hiring a personal injury lawyer? Remember these
If you decide to hire a personal injury lawyer, then you need to keep in mind the following:
- The law firm doesn’t immediately take the case.You will have to go through a thorough assessment. The lawyer would need to determine the merits of the case and the chances of winning.
Fortunately, firms like Scholle Law, can provide you with a free consultation.
- It’s always based on who’s at fault. Personal injury claims revolve around negligence—who’s responsible for the accident and, subsequently, the injury.
Georgia is an at-fault state. It means the party who has to pay for the medical care and property damage is the one responsible.
However, it also follows the principle of modified comparative negligence. The damage the court will award you will be according to your participation in the accident.
For instance, if you are at 25% at fault, then your claim is 75%. You don’t receive any if your participation is more than 50%.
- There is a statute of limitations. You have two years since the date of the accident to hire a Duluth car accident lawyerand file a lawsuit.
In certain cases, it’s possible to do it beyond this period. A good example is when it took some time before doctors relate your injuries or disability to the accident.
Because personal injury laws can be complex, it’s always best to approach a Duluth car accident attorney for help.
- You can claim both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages are fixed and easily quantifiable. These include healthcare costs and lost wages.
Non-economic damages refer to emotional distress, pain, and suffering.
Being involved in an accident is both life-threatening and distressing. You don’t have to go through the trauma alone, though. Know what to do and, when necessary, hire a personal injury attorney to help you.